Google Ads or Facebook Ads: Which one is right for your business?
Facebook Ads or Google Ads that is the Question
Using the expertise of an online advertising agency in Hong Kong to place targeted ads for your brand and business is a shrewd move. In the right hands using ads to generate traffic is powerful. Providing you have good context between the ads and your landing pages, you could see your revenue increase.
Two of the biggest advertising platforms in Hong Kong are Google and Facebook, but which ones should you choose?
Facebook Advertising Agency Options
Facebook works by targeting is audience by age, location, gender, and interest. It is estimated that it serves around 850 million ads a month to its one billion users. There are a range of advertising options, including ads which appear in the main stream of your targeted audience, and mobile display ads.
- Country – You can target specific countries with your Facebook Ads. This ensures you do not waste budget targeting your products and services to people who can’t use them. Very important in the APAC region.
- Currency – Some countries use a shared currency. This can be useful to expanding your business reach into other countries
- Time zone – Through targeting a time zone, you can ensure that you ad is served at the right time and at the right audience
- Location – Ads can be specifically targeted to a location, such as a town or city
- Age – Some products and services are suitable for certain age groups. So why not screen out the people who will not be interested in them
- Gender-Products and services can be targeted at certain genders. Not much point selling make-up to men
- Language- This is highly useful in the APAC region, and again you can use Facebook’s targeting options to ensure the right language is reached
- Relationship status – Your product or service may be more suited to singles male, or it might be more suited to married couples. Either way you can target the right people
- Education – It is possible to narrow the focus of your ads by specific universities, fields of study, undergraduate students, and the level of education.
- Parents – Target parents only with your ads
- Life events – This is a quite complex field to target, but is worth exploring. Significant life events, say people getting married for example can be targeted.
- Work titles / positions – Want to target CEOs, well this option allows you to do so
- Interest – A highly useful targeting option whereby you can target people by their pastimes.
- Behaviours (Digital activities, Mobile users, seasonal / events etc) – Here you can target people by how they use Facebook. Maybe they play mobile games or desktop games. Possibly, they are into seasonal events or travel.
All the Facebook targeting options have their place.
Google Advertising Agency Options
Google Ads on the other hand reach an estimated 180 billion users, targeting audiences on Google’s search engine, YouTube, Blogger, and Gmail. Ads are also shown on Google’s display network. Here remarketing options are utilised on independent websites to entice the user to click.
Business in both Asia Pacific and the rest of the world have benefited from both Google and Facebook Advertising.
- Paid ads on search network (Google and/or Google search partners) – Google allows you to place your ads on their search engines.
- Pay per click banners on display network – This will see your ad shown on websites which have signed up to be Google partners. This includes Google run entities such as gmail and blogger, as well as third party websites connected to what you offer
- Remarketing (ads and/or banners) – If your visitor visits your site and leaves, Google will show your ads to the user as they browse the web. This will either be shown in search engine results, or their display network.
- Keywords – These are specific terms used by Google to select when to display your ads. They can be configured to allow precise targeting options
- Device – Desktop, mobile devices? This option will let you choose which one you want your ad to be shown
- Location (Countries/ regions)- Target the right and not the right regions. Can be used to target local customers
- Day of week and time of day-If you feel your customers and clients are more likely to see your ad at certain times, you can specify this to Google
- Website (Topics, display keywords, interests, demographics)- This is a little like Facebook, and allows you to utilise the display network and remarketing options.
How Facebook Ads and Google Ads Work
Both Facebook ads and Google Ads work on a Cost per Click (CPC) basis. This means that every time your ads receive a click, you pay either Facebook or Google money. This is worked out in advance on Facebook, while Google’s work on a bidding system. The higher you bid, the more prominently your ad is displayed.
Any Facebook Advertising Agency will be able to give you a good overview of your Facebook ad cost.
The Key Differences between Ads on Facebook and Google
Speak to any seasoned Facebook advertising agency professional and they will tell you that Facebook’s targeting of ads, and Google’s targeting of ads are entirely different. Whereas the latter targets ads via keyword searches driven by the user, Facebook displays ads based on demographics.
What this means for you, is that on Google you should be advertising a specific product or service. Accuracy is paramount rather than vague terms, as you only want visitors that are after what you sell.
Facebook, on the other hand is targeting people by age, gender, location and interests. So if you were selling a business app to the Japanese market, you could streamline the targeting by region, age, and interests. Your ad appears right in front of your audience as they look at their Facebook stream. Although they may not be looking for your app specifically, they will be at least interested in it.
The other difference is the cost. Google ads can cost up to £100 per click for a highly competitive industry. On Facebook, a cost of over a $1 per click is rare. The metric you should measure however, is the cost per acquisition. That is to say how much you spend on both Google and Facebook to make a sale. This will determine where you should concentrate your marketing efforts.
Facebook Ad Strengths
Any Facebook advertising agency marketer will tell you the true strength of Facebook ads is its very powerful targeting capabilities. Location, age, gender, and interests ensure you ad is seen by the people interested in your brand and business. This combined with its low cost can often see high success rates.
Google Ad Strengths
Google ads come into their own when you advertise a specific product or service that has demand on search engines. Searchers are already looking for it, and your ad could be just what they need to seal the deal. Good use of keywords will ensure you do not waste money on wasted clicks.
Which is Better Google Ads or Facebook Ads for your Business?
The only true way to determine the better ad medium is is to ensure you have context running through your ads and landing pages, and then giving them both a whirl. Planning and testing is fundamental to online marketing. Although on paper, a Google Ad is better for specific services and products, and Facebook better for raising brand profiles, most Facebook advertising agency consultants will tell you there have been plenty of sales from Facebook and brands have been built on Google.
This Makes Sense but What Now?
and get in touch. Speak to us about promoting your business and our fully qualified and experienced online marketers will help you make it happen on the ad medium that gives you the best return on your investment.
Author: Jonathan Gillespie